Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oh the colors children





So here are some sketches...the top are some character designs for fun...the rest are color studies...which were not as fun until the end.
Color is the final step for me...and quite frankly...I would rather just draw. I guess I am lazy like that...but I also feel like I would rather be a master draughtsman than anything else.
Anyway, the middle is colored pencil...which I actually like to work with...it took about 30 minutes...I was trying to be really loose.
The bottom is water color from the tube. I like this too...and it is actually more forgiving than I thought it would be.
I will probably take the bottom shrek-like character and try to flesh it out with colored pencil and ink...I wanted to scan and post this version just to see the difference.

4 comments:

Ricardo Vsqz said...

Your top picture with all the characters reminds me of the old Disney 7 minute shorts....especially the Penguin.

I gotta say for the bottom drawing/paintings they are really cool. The Shrek has awesome colors and once again the whole page reminds me of something off a Mother Goose Fairytale book and I love those types of things. I as well enjoy how you didnt finish coloring the figure... it just looks really awesome that way. It is as well interesting how the female seems to just dissapear in the shadows. Kudos buddy!!

Sorry Ive never been good at Critiques!!

Matthew said...

Hey, thanks for the generous comments Ricardo!

Johnny Shen said...

Love the colors and the colors will love you... eventually. Used to be strictly a graphite person myself and then just started experimenting all the time. Kinda like breathing new air or something. Yup :)

Tim said...

i love the drawings and paintings almost as much as i love you...

mmmm...