Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Marco, Wendy, and Mickey






Hey...it's been a while, but I haven't forgotten you, blogger.  This is a post of an art piece done for some art friends we had back in 2008-09...while living, working, and learning out in California.  A lot has changed since then, and it is crazy to think that it has been ten years...damn!

Haha, whoa.  Anyway...this is an 11X17 done with Prismacolor colored pencils on this paper.  Included are some of the steps taken.  There are still some problems in the likenesses of both portraits, but overall...they feel 3D, the color and light feels good, and it is believable enough...for now.

The main problems that I ended up correcting were the guy's head being too big and both noses were placed too far down on the face...no matter what, it seems like these are always a problem in the drawing/proportion phase, if there is going to be a problem, that is.  The final drawing is close.  The likenesses are there, but the realism is just slightly off in some places...very minute things, but when added up, make a difference.

There were some problems too, in blending the background on the far left and a few other places.  Maybe I was going too fast, and using too broad a stroke instead of tight circles.  I almost didn't put in a background, but opted to do a very quick, graphic one instead.  Afterwords, I came across a product that I would like to try...as well as a workable fixative which are both supposed to be non toxic, somehow...seems too good to be true, but might be worth a try.

Lastly, the color...color is by far my greatest weakness, but not as much as it used to be.  For this piece, I used a couple of cheats with Photoshop to help me see color.  One: the obvious color selection tool/eyedropper.  Two: filter>pixelate>mosaic/crystallize.  Without these...this piece wouldn't be possible...guaranteed (someday I'll figure it out...maybe). 

Overall...it was a great learning experience, glad that it is finished and that it turned out alright, and that it was for people, and not just a sketchbook thing that will never see the light of day.  I'm happy...Enjoy!

No comments: