Monday, July 15, 2013

Nostalgia Sketches




My brother sent me an image a little while back of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sketch that he recently did (top image).  When we were growing up, we used to sketch from the original graphic novel while watching a movie.  We also used to rent horror movies, like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, and create scenes in our sketchpads from those movies.

Anyway, I decided to do a couple of sketches of turtles and also one of my favorite videogames, Ninja Gaiden.  There are a few things that are a bit off in the sketches...I did them after working 8-10 hours (doing caricatures), so I am happy to create something other than just heads/faces for a change.

These were done with ink brush (Faber Castel and Pentel Pocket Brush), Prisma Marker (Violet Mist, 30% Grey), and Various Prismacolor Colored Pencils on chip board.

Thanks to my brother for the inspiration!

2 comments:

Taylor S Smith said...

Very cool! Nostalgia drawings are the best! That's really cool you and your brother did that together growing up. I've been really into drawing fan art (nostalgia art) lately. There's something about it that reminds me of how fun drawing is. Not for a paycheck, but for the love it.

Matthew said...

Too true, sir.