Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cha-Coal

Yet another sketch of the hoop master herself. I had actually finished this a while ago, but forgot to post it. I was also hesitant to do so, as the elipse of her hoop is done pretty poorly...but then I got over myself and posted anyway.

I think if you can draw an elipse, a perfect circle, a strait line, and perfect "S" curves, you can pretty much draw anything. For me, the elipse and the perfect circle is really tough...more so on a large scale drawing such as this.

This was done in charcoal and white pastel on 17X22 newsprint. I am trying to be as loose as I can, but still adhere to a tight representation of the subject. I think that the light source in her face became a little too diffuse, but I am happy with the drawing, and just happy to be doing any drawing lately.

I think I may try and indicate a little more of the inner workings of the ear on my next portrait. It isn't that I am unable render it out...it is just boring to me, and I feel that it brings too much attention to itself at times. I hardly notice when other artists render ears...unless it is a major source of observation...such as in caricatures...or if it is a back-shot of person's head, where the only features you can see are the ears. I guess it couldn't hurt though, but I figured if Steven Silver avoid it, why can't I?

Anyway...more soon

2 comments:

Taylor S Smith said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

jimbodraw said...

Nice drawing, Matt!